Tuesday 25 October 2011

Eating Right Series....Breakfast

If you are always trying to lose some weight like me, you would have tried to starve yourself sometimes, skip breakfast and do a lot of crash diets. Well, if you have never, that's good because i have been there and it is a horrible experience.

Crash diets are so exhausting and frustrating and dangerous. I remember doing the liquid diet, oh and there was the 7 day fruit cleanse. Then a friend asked me to try the pepper diet. Someday i will talk about all these diets.

In light of all these, we are introducing a new series we will be running on this blog tagged "Eating Right". Samsoona and Aqua will also share their tips and ideas on different ways of eating right on other days. So let's get into it...

Breakfast:

Yes we all know it's the most important meal of the day and it is advisable to eat in the mornings for good health and weight loss BUT how many of us actually find the time. I know i used to be guilty of skipping breakfast.
It's hard especially weekdays when you have to rush to work, settle down and before you know it, it's 11am and almost lunch time, so you eye that biscuit on your colleague's table, eat some and indulge in a heavy lunch...Oops that was me.

Now, i never skip breakfast. I know i am preaching to the choir if i go on about the usual benefits of breakfast so i will speak on my personal experience.
On days i skip breakfast, i eat much more and burn less. By the time it's lunch, my body has gone into starvation mode and i eat so much more so as to fuel it. Normally, i restrict my lunch to 500 calories but days i skip breakfast, i kid you not, i sometimes eat up to 900 calories (shameful!).

I have adjusted my routine to ensure i eat breakfast so now i work out early mornings. I am up by 5:40am, get to the gym for my 6am workout, finish by 7am, and ensure i eat before i leave for work at 7:45am. I know it's easier for me because the gym is currently in my apartment but that's changing soon so i will definitely have to figure out a new routine.

It's hard to sometimes figure out what to eat so i will share with you guys some of the meals i alternate for breakfast

1. OatMeal: Variety Flavour.

I love oatmeal. Not only because it is very filling and only 130 calories per satchet, but it is healthy and nutritious. My fave flavour is the Apple and Cinnamon.

2. Kelloggs Variety cereal pack. (140 calories with skimmed milk)




I randomly pick anyone and eat with a piece of fruit (mostly watermelon or banana)

3. Fried eggs: (180 calories) It takes less than 5 minutes, i always have a bowl with sliced tomatoes, onions and mixed peppers in the fridge, as it always come in handy for quick meals. I used to hate eating only eggs but it's actually nice. Especially when i drink a glass of Cranberry juice(40 cals) with it... my urinary tract thanks me.

4. Two slices of Wholegrain toast with one tsp of butter snd a slice of chicken (320 calories) (this is usually for mondays or tuesdays due to weekend chicken left overs and those are the days my gym classes are intense so i can afford more calories)

5. Moin Moin: (250 calories) (Local Nigerian delicacy) I make moin moin sometimes over the weekend as it's made from beans so very healthy or i just buy take out from restaurants whenever i am in Nigeria. Perfect Saturday morning breakfast

(Do note that this is not a complete list and there are other foods that you can eat for breakfast)

So those are some breakfast meal ideas. According to Nutritionists and Fitness experts, It is advisable to eat breakfast in the first 30 minutes of waking up, except you go to the gym as soon as you are up (which i do).

Got any tips to share? spill in the comments.....

P:s- If you are on twitter, follow @fitnessleak they tweet really helpful tips and info

2 comments:

  1. I'm sory i don't really have any diet tips and all that. Very helpful post right there.

    ReplyDelete